CUERNOS DE NEGROS: CONQUERING THE HEARTRENDING TRAIL IN MT. TALINIS


Ganahan kag sakit? Adto tas Negros, sa Mt. Talinis mag hike. 

I'm sure you already know where Mt. Talinis is, yes? If not, Mt. Talinis is located in Negros Oriental. Mount Talinis, also known as the Cuernos de Negros, is a complex volcano in the Philippine province of Negros Oriental. At about 1,903 meters above sea level, it is the second-highest mountain on Negros Island after Mount Kanlaon. The volcano is located 9 km southwest of the municipality of Valencia; and 20 km from Dumaguete City, the capital of the province.


Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

It's almost a year before na blog naku ni nga hike, technically this is the second major climb  I had with some of my Team sa Laag Bisaya. I have nothing much to say about this hike, aside sa super kapoy ug sakit sa lawas. 
Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya


Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya © Kevin

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya © Kevin

Sa Mt. Talinis, didto ko naka experience ug kamang tungod sa kadanlog (kay mahadlok naman lage ma fall) ug ka kapoy, Didto naka ingon kapoy kaayo mag hike sa Talinis, wala pa gani mi kaabot sa rangers camp perte ng kapoya. Thanks to Renson and Hardilene (Lost Lokal peps) who stayed with me as sweeper, atik ako bitaw ni stay nila as sweeper. Lol!
Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

As soon as ni abot mi sa rangers camp, nangaon mi sa among lunch quickly then padayon ug hike para maka abot pa sa clearing sa peak and para dili magabhian sa trail. Though na dugay mig abot ky gisabayan namo akong bebe girl kay na injured. Shiek was injured (na fall pag abot nila sa rangers camp), technically, sila ang nauna ug abot ky mga harkor man lage. Supposedly, sa rangers camp na matug si bb girl ky murag dili na kaya mo hike pa going to camp site but it leaves us uncomfortable, so we insist na dungan gyud and sa campsite matug for safety nasad. 

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya © Kevin


Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

After rangers camp, didto na ang mas lisod ug kapoy nga trail. Fast forward, ni abot mi sa Lake Nailig then set up sa tent and then hike nasad going sa peak. Luckily, we were able to see the panoramic view of Talinis before it was covered with thick fog. Bisag kadiyot ra ang clearing pero at least naka kita me at worth it ang kakapoy. 


Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya  © Kevin

We didn't stayed at the peak for a long time ky super ka tugnaw (labaw pa niya ka bugnaw). After pictorial descend to camp site na dayon, medyo slow among descend kay gidunganan naku ang duha ka injured (Shiek ug James). Medyo hadlok kay sayo pa gani sa gabie but perte na ka ngitngit kasi the trail is covered with trees. It was dark na gyud when we arrived in the camp site and dinner is ready na. Yay! 


Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

Fast forward, after eating our dinner walay socials nahitabo kay isig tago na sa tent tungod sa katugnaw. Ulan-ulan to nga gabie ug kusog ang hangin by the way so tugnaw gyud kaayo. 


Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya


Next day, descend na.... kamang is real kay slippery kaayo ang trail and kami pa gyud ang sweeper as always and kung puro uphill ang trail going sa lake/peak puro sad downhill ang padung pauli. Mura tawn mig piso nga basa ky ulan-ulan  man pag naog. Fast forward, after kamang-kamang and kurog-kurog, na abot mis jump off, medyo dark na gyud.


Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya  © Kevin

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

We were able to return to Dumaguete proper around 6 or 7pm. Chill-chill sa dumaguete, chikka-chikka sa mga panghitabo and mga horror while waiting sa depart time to Cebu City. 

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya
Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

We're so happy ky naka return me sa Cebu City safe and sounds with great hiking experience. Kaingon ko gud dili naku mo utro sa Mt. Talinis kay sakit kaayos lawas. 😂

Night trek from Mt. Talinis's Peak to Lake Nailig

#BukidEncounters #HikingEncounters #ShiekinahsEncounters🌱

Descending from the summit as the darkness of night slowly picthed in. Both of me and my friend calmingly took one step at a time because of the injuries we obtained. Everything was tranquil at the very beginning: Winds brushing through the leaves, the fog penetrating the mossy forest, the prosteriority of the sounds the animals or insects were making can be heard, and the eloquent smell of fresh mud we were immune to; As the light of the sun quickly shrinks out, in such a short span of time. Several thoughts  had my mind awakened, the thought of me finally reaching the campsite where my friends are cooking dinner, me easefully resting inside the tent, and having that fulfilling sense of reaching the summit with an injured foot.

But if there's one thought I could not forget, It's the thought of me having a vivid sense of "things" through the dark, seeing, hearing and feeling the elementals that ought to exist, elementals that can possible harm me when I can't handle myself well while being around them. So, as we were making our way back to the campsite bringing our injuries with us, I was the very last person on the line with our friends being so much ahead of us. I started noticing an elemental looking at me from my back, I then felt the heaviness of my body but I ignored the feeling since it could've been something else. However, everytime I take a step forward, the number of elementals watching me fluctuated. I distracted myself by talking to my friend, but I just couldn't resist the feeling of seeing them through my peripheral vision still following me, moving real fast as I was descending like a turtle.

They were black and white elementals, they appear to be blurry to me as I don't oblige myself to look at them for too long. I kept turning to my back still, just to know if they're still following us, not knowing that some of them were on our side and in front of us. Never have I imagined that my friend himself can also feel them, and he is also aware that they are following us even if I never told him about it. He concluded to himself that the feeling was mutual when he caught me staring at the trees behind me. He then uttered, "Shiek ha, kita ko ato! Ayaw pag gara-gara diha wa baya ta'y flashlight." So I just pretended that I never saw anything since then. It was a good thing that we have another friend that realized how jeopardized our situation was, so he waited for us and shed light on our way, volunteering to be the last man instead of me (what a strong decision that was).

So as the three of us continued walking, it felt like forever, like we were never reaching the campsite since it should've only took us 30-45 minutes to do so but it already took an hour or so. It is as if we were being played on by the elementals as what my other injured friend thought. Until, a light from my friend's flashlight hit a certain tree that it actually shocked me to the extent that I was murmuring at the back, "My Gosh unsa man to?" and they asked me "Nganu man?" then I replied "Wala oy." Not letting them know that I saw an elemental that looked exactly like a human, well except that his color is that of a tree and his facial features are more of like a pig maybe, his eyes were big and he was looking back at me with a grin. This time, the image I saw were clear, "It" was gone after the light no longer reflected on the tree. After I saw that elemental, I had my second trip, I thought I broke a bone and was not ambulatory anymore. And because of how hurtful it was, it never sinked in to my mind that my other injured friend hurriedly went down to ask for help.

I rested on my friend's foot (the last man) and he was wondering why I kept looking back at him, I never told him that I thought there were still the three of us since the're was somebody standing close to him from the behind, somebody that's white and blurr and I thought it was my other injured friend yet he told me he went down for help. That's when I decided to stand-up and push myself to walk even if it hurts, 'cause I know that staying at that dark forest with only one the two of us, equipped with two flashlights, is not gonna be good.

My injured foot slowly went back to normal again after my friend assisted me with going down. I always thought we were already close to the campsite since we can clearly hear the sound of our friends laughing, so I was very hopeful at that time, not knowing we were still halfway throughout the trail, and it's quite weird that we are still very far but the voices sounds so near. We just kept walking, 'till our guide went back to fetch us. And the rest was history.

Nevertheless, I still respect their existence, I know that most of them mean no harm. It's that just, I am just getting the hang of seeing them on my hikes during late afternoon and when the night approaches. ('cause these are the times when they would reveal themselves) 🌿
So take care on your hikes! Don't be too loud. And no night trek as much as possible. ☺️


Based on a true events by Shiek, this is not to scare but for you to be aware. 
MT. TALINIS - CUERNOS DE NEGROS     
MT. TALINIS - CUERNOS DE NEGROS
Apolong Valencia City Apolong Trail
Elevation 1,903 MASL
Major Climb Difficulty 6/9
Features Lakes, Mossy forest, Falls, Rivers, Sulphuric Vents
TIME NOTES/REMARKS/ACTIVITIES
DAY 1
0800 pm Meet up at Pier 1 Cebu City
1000 pm Depart to Dumaguete City
DAY 2
0300 - 0400 am ETA Dumaguete City
0500 - 0600 am Breakfast /Last-minute Buying /Buy Foods for Lunch
0600 - 0700 am ETD to Apolong, Valencia City
0730 am ETA Jump off @Casaroro Falls
0730 am Start Trek
1000 am Twin Falls
1100 am Lunch
1200 pm Sulfuric River
0100 pm Resume Hike to Lake Nailig Campsite
0600 pm Dinner/Socials
1000 pm Lights Off
DAY 3
0500 am Wake up call/Prepare Breakfast
0600 am Breakfast /Break camp/ Prepare to Summit
0700 am Ascend to Summit
0830 am Descend back to Lake Nailig Campsite
09300 am Hike Apolong Trail Backtrail
1200 pm Lunch along the trail (magluto ta daan for lunch )
0100 pm Resume Hike
0300 - 0400 pm Exit at Casaroro Falls
0500 pm Back to Dumaguete City
0700 - 0800 pm Dinner/Chilling in Dumaguete City Boulevard
1000 pm Depart going back to Cebu City
NOTE: TIME/s MENTIONED ABOVE ARE ALL ESTIMATED

Mt. Talinis | Laag Bisaya

Surely, there are no laws that would prevent you from doing something or fun activities as long as you do not disturb others or hurt nature and environment, Yes?

Enjoy your trip and let your worries go away even just for a day!

RESPECT mother nature and practice The Leave No Trace Policy.

  • Plan ahead and prepare
  • Travel and camp on durable surfaces
  • Dispose of waste properly
  • Leave what you find
  • Minimize campfire impacts
  • Respect Wildlife
  • Be Considerate of other visitors

LEAVE nothing but FOOTPRINTS, TAKE nothing but PICTURES, KILL nothing but TIME.

See ya!


LIKE THIS ARTICLE? PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS BELOW!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *